Sunday, February 9, 2014

"buy some"


Magic moments are the epitome’s of travel.


On the first night in India Linda and I walked through the neighbourhood for the first time to stretch our legs and get our bearing.  We came across a religious ritual being performed on the side of the road and I stopped to take a picture.  I was quickly besieged by a man, then a woman, telling me to “by some.”
At moments like this when backsheesh is being demanded it is best to look stupid and walk away, but I stopped and thought “shit buying some might mean 20 rupees so what.”

I was ushered into the heart of the crowd, a chair was found, I sat, and the group proceeded to mix and share sweet gruel.


Yum?


So I slurped.  Then a spoonful of sugary fruit cocktail was put into my hand and I licked.  Constantly people would repeat “buy some” and as I finished I reached for my pre-organized 20, haven been separated from all the newly acquired  crisp 500 rupee notes in my pocket.  Finally getting up and asking how much for “buying some” they laughed and explained bisum was the name of the gruel I had just eaten and bid me off.  


Last photograph the "Guru" himself



No comments:

Post a Comment